Tuesday, April 3

Establishing Feel The Burn

Hello, my name is Mike Manning. I am riding my bicycle from Boston, MA to San Jose, CA this spring to raise money for the Phoenix Society for Burn Survivors.

As a firefighter, I have seen the devastation that a burn injury can bring. The Phoenix Society (on the list of Self magazine's fiscally responsiblenon-profit charities) helps burn survivors recover both emotionally and physically from their burn injuries. To generalize, burn patients usually are not well off financially. A lot of these patients have insufficientinsurance coverage, if any at all. Custom burn masks, neck splints and compression garments can be very costly and yet they are essential for proper physical healing. I see no reason why people need to suffer further pain in securing proper medical care/appliances in this land of plenty.

I will begin my ride on Tuesday, May 8th in Boston, MA and finish Friday June 22nd in San Jose, CA. 100% of donations from this bike ride will go directly to burn survivors to help in their support or recovery. I will be boarding at fire stations along my ride to avoid using any donations for lodging. I will be personally purchasing everything else for my ride (food, cycling gear, etc.).

FOR DONATIONS: The Phoenix Society accepts donations through their website or by calling them directly 1-616-458-2773. Please be sure to tell them that your donation is for Feel the Burn '07.

No comments: