Monday, June 4

Durango to Phoenix

(NOTE: This is from Mike ... he couldn't log into the blog so he emailed us this post so everyone could read it tonight!)

I started the day off at 6am in Durango, at a brisk 50 degrees. I was able to see the sunrise light up the San Juan Mountains and it was beautiful. One of those images that will always stick with me. I passed through the Ute and Navajo Nations today. What a travesty of human justice and caring. I saw extremely poor people living on the crappiest and most unfertile land I've seen. Very sad.

Both times I stopped for gas in the Indian Nations I was approached by men asking for money, albeit politely. My usual response is "No, but if you're hungry i'll be happy to give you some food." In all the years i've said this only one man, in Downtown Crossing in Boston, said that he needed food. 2 big Macs and fries later he was in good spirits. One man today took me up on my offer, I kind of thought he would by the look of him. I gave him some bananas and bread and he was very thankful. Oddly enough, we got talking and it turns out he is a burn survivor, showed me his scars and everything. I gave him the Phoenix Society flyer and wished him good luck.

Who knew that riding a motorcycle over 89mph was a criminal offense in AZ? News to me. I did not bother explaining that in Boston (where I learned to drive) the posted speed limit means you can roughly go 15mph over without getting harassed. Anyway, before you judge me everybody, I was on the straightest, smoothest, most desolate road you can imagine. doing the limit would have been a crime. So there I was, in the Painted Cliffs with a very perturbed state trooper by my side. Upon explained why I was there, speeding on a borrowed motorcycle, he relaxed and wrote the ticket for 10 over the limit. Thanks Rosco. Boo yah!

I rode 500 miles today, 480 of it in the desert. The sun was scorching, the wind felt like a blowtorch, or like hanging out over a roof ventilation hole for 9 hours. I have never felt heat like I felt today. OK, once but i can't explain that here.

I couldn't help but think "why?" someone would or could settle down here in this desert. If I were an early pioneer, I'd a been rowing through the Carribean pal. Why would you search for gold when you can eat coconuts and sleep on the beach?

The temp rose about 70 degrees from the start of my day to the end of it. The seguros were very cool upon reaching the valley here in Phoenix. It looks like it hasn't rains here in eons. I wish i had more time to visit all of the neat sites in the southwest that I passed today, Anasazi ruins, the big meteor crater, Grand Canyon, and Ship Rock. I'm on a mission so that'll have to wait. They're not going anywhere.

I'm very excited about seeing the 2nd largest burn unit in the US tomorrow. I'm going out after dinner to restock my toys and coloring books. There is a vicious rumor that a few PFD Ff's are joining me on their Harleys for the arrival at the hospital. I hope that materializes.

Peace for now my good friends. Was it just here or was the moon in the sky all morning today? Just awesome.

Quote of the day: "Knowledge speaks, wisdom listens." - Jimi Hendrix

No comments: