Wednesday, May 9

HARTFORD ROCKS

"A" Shift has graciously welcomed me into their station today. We have been running the Tactical Rescue Truck #1 today and filled up on some amazing lasagna from the Captain.

The NFFF tour bus stopped by this afternoon on the tail end of their whistle stop tour (http://www.firehero.org/) which coincidentally began in San Jose last month. I'll plan better next year and draft their bus across the USA.:-)

Tomorrow will be my first introduction to biking in Appalachia while traveling to Bloomingburg, NY. I'm ready for it and will remind myself of someone's advice when I need to slow down to conserve energy for the other 2950 miles to go, "It's not a race, it's a journey." I've already met hundreds of people who have been supportive and smiling on this journey - La vita e' bella.

I just got word that we have raised over $10k including the money the Hartford FF Union and Hartford Emerald Society comitted to donating today. Thank you for having me Hartford.

I also want to personally thank Amy for lending me her anchor with a poem:

Anchors are meant to hold a boat still
But this one pushes me o'er
Anchors are heavy and break waters will
But this one's light as a clover
Over the mountains it makes me float
When I feel I can't give anymore
Something stronger than wind is moving my boat
This anchor is what I adore

2 comments:

Unknown said...

AWESOME Hartford, CT. It was great you were able to meet up with the NFFF Whistle Stop Tour. We love the NFFF and consider them a close parnter of the Phoenix Society. Though they did choose a easier mode of transport on this cross country tour!!
Thanks for the poem about the anchor Mike. Next I will have to look up a poem which my mom often read to me at my bedside - has to do with heading into the wind...Something you will be doing a fair amount of over the next few weeks! We will all be here supporting your Journey!!

Anonymous said...

Looks like you're off to a great start. Keep up the good work. As a father of a burn survivor and volunteer fireman myself, I can't thank you enough for what you are doing. Also I can personally attest to the value of such an awesome group such as the Phoenix Society. I've put the word about your journey out on a motorcycle website, so don't be surprised to be greeted by lots of bikers along your way. My family and I will be monitoring your progress. Steve Gartman