Monday, May 28

2 inspirational people to me

As I wrestled with going back to the burn unit last night to visit with Hally (I decided against it because she needs her rest) I reflected on 2 influential people that played a part in my desire to go back to the hospital - Bobby Orr (awesome Boston Bruin in the 70's and 80's) and my father, Patrick. Bobby Orr frequently visited the local children's hospital after a game in whatever town he was playing in, bringing sticks, shirts, toys, and stuffed animals to ALL of the sick kids. All while his teamates were out doing whatever sports stars do. I met Orr at a North Quincy, MA Xmas parade in 1984. My dad brought me over to shake his hand and I still remember it like it was yesterday. He had very kind eyes.

My dad has always taught me by example to be generous, with time, words, and money. I am thankful to have known both of these men, and hope that I can be just as good a father to Sean and Catherine as my father is to me.

No comments: