Saturday, June 2

Denver to La Veta

I left Denver around 10am and headed to Colorado Springs to see the Fallen Fire Fighters Memorial. I would encourage everyone to visit it once. It was very somber seeing the names of our fallen brothers and sisters, I definitely feel a stronger connection to the profession that I love. It was very sad seeing the 2001 part of the wall where so many names were followed by a "NY" on the wall. Let's remember to buckle up out there to keep as many names off of the wall as possible.

After downing a huge burrito I headed further south to La Veta, CO. La Veta is a cute town of about 800 people nestled at the base of the Spanish Peaks (pic). Asst. Chief Rich took me to dinner (thanks!!!) and then gave me a tour of the area. I saw my first elk (freakin' huge) and a ton of deer. I was later told about 50 bear stories and told to be careful walking around at night. No problem, I think I'll just stay in thank you. Sue Pezze of the LVFD made a wonderful breakfast for myself, Rich, and her husband Richard. Sue, you are a great chef! Everything was perfect.

Sue took me for a tour of her farm and showed me a few of the classic tractors her husband has restored, really cool. Thank you LVFD for putting me up in a hotel last night, nothing like a good night's sleep.

I headed out to Durango, CO this morning after the top notch breakfast. I saw some of the most beautiful country I've ever seen today. Words cannot describe the natural beauty in the Wolf Creek Pass area. Check it out if you can, it's worth the trip and then some. it was cold and snow was on the ground up there around 11k feet, I figure the Harley lost about 40% power up there. Durango FD gave me warm welcome and we're having burgers tonight. I worked out for a while in their huge gym and am ready to chow down. There is a rafting competition going on this weekend in Durango so I'll be checking that out tomorrow after seeing if there are any kids in the local Hospital. After that I'm going rafting with Capt. Lou, can't wait, I don't have a swimsuit so I guess the birthday suit will have to do, sorry Lou. Lou just read this and did not find that funny at all.

I hope all is well at the Gtown FD while I'm gone. Chief Anding's wife Heather is expecting a baby any day now. Good Luck!!!!!

EVERY Harley owner I've spoken with is absolutely shocked at the generosity of Chief Anding. Thanks again chief, you're the bomb.

Till tomorrow my friends, be good.

Quote of the Day: "I have got a running stream of love you see. So no matter what stages.. they put us through, we'll never be blue." - Bob Marley

No comments: