Saturday, May 26

KCFD, Mo

Good morning all, sorry for my absence yesterday. After a good night's sleep in Mexico I headed out to KC early yesterday. I still can't quite just get up and go. I don't think I'm cut out for living out of a backpack.

I made the 170 mile trip in the rain and arrived at the Univ. of Kansas hospital/Burnett Burn Center around1pm. Upon arriving I was greeted by Dave Hurlbut and his daughter. Dave is a burn survivor, a cool dude, and helped design and pay for the kick butt burn unit here. It is very cool. There is a nice day room and rehab/exercise room for patients and the unit has lots of windows. All burn related care is provided in the same wing, including the OR (looks just like the ones on TV) so patients do not need to get carted all over the place. This also means that the pretty and talented nurses can keep an eye on them so they are taken care of all the time. Thank you Kayla, Julie, Marsha, and Tracy (I hope I remembered your names correctly:-) for the tour. Keep up the great work. I was able to speak with a burn patient at the unit and gave her a toy, we're all kids at heart so everyone gets something no matter how old they are. If that doesn't make people smile I sometimes have to resort to singing "Paul Revere" by the Beastie Boys, whatever it takes - No one in the burn unit is safe!

This unit also cared for 6 of our brothers who were burned here in a KC commercial flashover back in January. ALL of the burned FF's will be back to work very soon. False ceilings in old buildings stink.

I was able to run a few calls with the Rescue here at station 19, which is conveniently close to the party district, which also sums up my evening after 7pm. Thank you to Joe for the Gatorade at Kelly's Bar. Joe owns the place and retired from Hook and Ladder 7 after 31 years of service to KCFD, his shield is on the wall there.

I found out yesterday that I will be on FOX NEWS on 5/31 from Denver at 8:40am est to talk about the fundraiser. Giddy up.

I'm meeting with a FF who is also a burn survivor for breakfast and aspirin this AM after I log off, then it's off to Wichita for 2 nights, and then on to CO.

Thank you to B shift for feeding me for free yesterday and letting me use the Capt.'s quarters during my stay. Station 19 is 7 months old and is Sa-weet. Weight room, wide screen, b-ball, ping pong, you name it. Special thanks to Trevor for the linens hook up.

When in KC, I would have to recommend the Boulevard Pale Ale with a lemon wedge.

I saw a couple street performers yesterday who were breakdancing. i'll have to bring some cardboard w/ me on the way back east and give them a run for their money. You don't know me!

Thank you for the GREAT time KC, check ya later.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"ASPRIN: THE BREAKFAST OF CHAMPIONS"?! Go, Mike--you are a third of the way to San Jose!
Lightness103