Wednesday, May 23

Springfield Baby!

Hello from my wife's birth state. Had a great ride in today and visited the Memorial Hospital where they have an awesome burn unit. I visited with the doctors and nurses there who definitely know what they are doing and do it well. I met a strong young man who was getting released today (Good job brother!) and his spirits were high. His parents presented me with a $500 dollar check for the Phoenix Society, WOW. Thank you both. The head nurse then gave me a $100 towards the fundraiser. WOW, and thank you once again. The more people I meet in the burn community (FF's, nurses, therapists, survivors, family) the more I am impressed by our cohesiveness and hopes to alleviate all concerns for survivors.

Upon arriving at the SFD we went to a cookin' garage fire with exposures. I'm riding with Truck 1 tonight (Pierce platform 110') and just filled up on a great speghetti dinner, thanks fellas.

Riding the motorcycle is definitely a more relaxed way to see the country. I saw some beautiful farms today, ALL CORN FOR 200 MILES.

Dr. Scott gave me a tour of the burn unit today and I couldn't help but imagine what each burn survivor must endure. Battling infection from the get go, repeated garment changes, and heating elements to prevent hypothermia. This occurs twice a day my friends. While we're worrying about what frozen pizza to buy, there are many survivors worrying about how their next dressing change will go. What amazing people, every one of them.

A reminder to first responders - the Dr's and nurses cautioned us on burned individuals being transported to the ER. Use sparing water for pain management, any more endangers the survivor with hypothermia which can lead to a host of problems down the road- and dry dressings of course. Thanks and be safe out there.

Mike

1 comment:

Unknown said...

WOW how awesome it that!! Thank you Springfield. You have nailed it on the closeness and special connection of those who have been affected by a burn injury - Mike.